Thursday 11 October 2012

Practice Makes Perfect

On the way into work this morning (during the talksport adverts) I turned the radio onto 5live where they were talking about the rise in tennis’ popularity in this country since Andy Murray won Olympic Gold and the US Open. It seems to be public sentiment that despite being a gifted footballer Wayne Rooney is seen as a bad role model for young children for being petulant, foul-mouthed and reckless. This got me thinking, despite his obvious talent, is Andy Murray really a good role model for today’s youth? When he’s winning comfortably his on-court demeanour is moody at best but when he’s not playing 100% he takes it to a whole new level, pained looks come across his face, the hand gestures and dramtic sighing intensify, he starts shouting at himself, he starts shouting at his box, he starts using the racket to physically abuse his feet and knuckles. If I had a child, whilst I’d be pleased they cared that much about what they were doing I certainly wouldn’t like them to think it is ok to act like a baby throwing their toys out the pram everytime they lose a point. Under Lendl‘s watchful eye it seemed like he had matured a little and that this nonsense had stopped but during the US Open final it all came flooding back. A particular favourite highlight, apart from the comical expletives, was the scream of “WE DIDN’T PRACTICE THAT” at Lendl after Djokovic ripped a cross-court forehand past him. I imagine he is the sort of person that smashes up playstation controllers every time he concedes a goal on FIFA. In summary, a fantastic player and whilst I enjoy seeing a good racket smash as much as the next guy it would be a shame if Britain produces a generation of players who think it is ok to scream abuse at their coaches and self-harm on the court every time they make a mistake or are outplayed in a point.

The blog is in danger of becoming a little Murray-centric. Today’s post was originally going to be about churn. In not at all the same way that churn is a blight on the insurance industry whilst simultaneously being the lifeblood of financial advisors, it is both a powerful asset to my gambling and an unwelcome guest of my blogging.  Of course high-volume, low percentage betting and having a limited blog readership are two completely different concepts. Fortunately, it doesn’t take an analyst as expensive as me to figure out that a lack of interesting material and advertising are the main drivers of the relatively low regular readership of my blog. The blog is about to reach 1,000 page views according to the blogger stats so I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the 13 or so regular readers for their continued viewing and hopefully my blogging will have improved, and there will be a few more of you by the time the next milestone rolls around.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Simon, You've only been going less than 2 months, nothing wrong with 1000 page views. I don't think I started with that many, it takes a while before things take off - although for most people, they don't as they give up well before 6 months. Just gotta stick at it and if people are interested, things will pick up. It's unlikely to happen overnight though!

    I tends to have a slightly different view of Murray's antics. He is a perfectionist and that is something I can empathise with. When things don't work out perfectly, it is just a natural reflex for us perfectionists to get angry with ourselves. I did it for years with my trading and still do on the odd occassion. Same with when I'm playing sport and I make mistakes and play below par - and yes, on video games too! OK, I don't neccessarily berate myself in front of other people but I have to hold it in.

    I don't think it's acting like a child, I just think it's that we are so desperate to win that it's hard to take when we make mistakes - and that is the sign of a winner. Even Federer used to 'throw his toys out the pram' as a youngster. Same with Aggassi. But as you mature, you learn to deal with it and channel emotion better. Murray is improving at this, just as I am and both of us are succeeding even more now. He's still only 25 and I know when I was that age, I was still maturing too. Ah, the wisdom of old age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sultan, thanks for the comment. I'm very pleased with my page count, reading back over the post I can see how that isn't very clear. Given I have barely advertised the blog I think that it is phenomenal so many people have read it already and even more so that there are people who come back. The hit count is slightly skewed though by the fact that for a while it was the highest ranked search for "Stick tennis willy beacher" and "how to beat Willy Beacher stick tennis" - I'm number 6 for both of these now which has reduced the daily viewing figures by about a third.

    I think Murray's work ethic and commitment to self-improvement is remarkable and that alone is enough to make him a fantastic role model. I can't honestly say that if I was number 4 in the world [at anything!] and above me I had Federer, Nadal and Djokovic that I wouldn't just be happy with my lot. I have great admiration for him and after Federer he is the one I enjoy watching play the most. That being said I think Rooney's desire to win sometimes boils over and manifests itself in petulant outbursts and Murray is exactly the same. How can one be a bad role model and another be a fantastic one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because, as far as I'm aware, Murray has never kicked out at an opponent, slept with a prostitute whilst involved in a relationship, sworn directly into a camera, slagged off his own supporters or moaned about the amount of money he was getting!

      Delete
    2. Can't argue with that.

      Although all of those are technically off-the-field antics apart from the first one and didn't Murray absolutely smash one at Federer's face at Wimbledon this year? Also I seem to remember Kim breaking up with him because he was more interested in his playstation than her.

      Still, I'm being facetious and you're absolutely right.

      Delete